Sharon Henneborn's story can save lives

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 06:39:26 PDT

I urge all of you to use her experience to make kids think! I use the
stories from my life and those around me to make my students think about the
consequence of their actions.

I know Sharon is a very forgiving person...but I can not imagine the guilt
that student must feel for the pain he has caused Sharon. I know he/she had
no idea what would happen from the prank that was pulled -- it was "normal
kid behavior" --- kids do that kind of stuff all the time. Now I have a
story that will really make them think twice (I saved her message into my
special cyber friends folder).

Sharon is like a sister to me. I know more about her than most staff members
in my building. This happened to Sharon -- so her story could save a life
(or at least prevent serious injuries) somewhere (I believe this is true).
Use it!

For those who may remember the story of the son of an art colleague of
mine...The son had been drinking and mysteriously fell down a laundry shoot
( a big kid prank---college age students). The young man lost both legs and
was not expected to live. Through all of our prayers ---he did survive. He
is now able to communicate with his parents.....I use this story when I hear
my kids talking about drinking (yes....at middle school age! ). Well, my
students do know I have a story for everything...

We can change lives....We have the power.....

Love you Sharon, I was able to write this through my teary eyes...we never
knew what happened. I never got those roses off to you....will do that
today...I eventually get around to things.

Judith (this is definitely a "Judith" kind of message)

---