Re: displaying B work......

---------

From: Curt James (curt_james_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 00:48:03 PDT

Lin wrote:

> Another thing to consider about
> displaying "A" and "B", and even
> "C" work is that everyone's taste
> in art is different.
>
> My fourth graders did a landscape
> project that the entire teaching
> staff went nuts over. I thought
> the kids did a good job, but everyone
> had a different favorite.
>
> Some teachers even asked if
> they could purchase the kid's work.
> The pieces they were most interested in
> were definitely not the best work,
> but they saw something in the pieces
> that spoke to them.

Well said. I simply don't understand
this backlash again "self-esteem builders."

Someone wrote, "promoting mediocrity..."

Hogwash.

What grade levels are we discussing?
There is nothing wrong, imo, with displaying
*all* of the work completed by students in
at least elementary through 8th grades.

I don't think there's anything wrong with
displaying all the work of a group of
high school students for that matter, or
a group of senior citizens' work.

It's not about promoting mediocrity or
rewarding lack of effort. It is about
displaying the various works of art that
have been completed with effort and with
creativity - even if that work, perhaps,
doesn't meet some pre-conceived standard.

Students know who the super-realistic
artists are. Students know who has "talent"
and who "cannot draw a straight line," so
I'm certainly not going to beat them over
the head with information they already
have.

I will not extinguish that flicker of
creativeness in them.

I will, however, hang all the artwork
that there is room for in the display cases.

And if the room in the display cases runs out,
I'll scavenge, beg, and scold my way into
more display cases.

Why? Because, just as Lin stated,
"everyone's taste in art is different."

Our job, as art educators, I believe is to
promote - not mediocrity, but - the creative
spirit.

Please forgive my - what may be considered a -
rant, but by hiding (or refraining from hanging)
the "poor" artwork, we are doing nothing to
promote or increase the talent of the "good"
artists. We are, however, denying the public,
students, classmates, faculty, etc. the opportunity
to see something different as well as something
that, perhaps, does speak to them.

--
Curt, promoting mediocrity online @:
http://www.geocities.com/samsartclass/