Re: year round school

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 15:09:57 PDT

Howdy fellow artsednetters,
I'm also in Wake County, NC but I'm at a year-round high school whereas
Jayna is at a year-round middle school. Jayna's middle school "tracks out"
as she explained therefore she (and the other elective teachers) work all
year long (12 month salary). My high school doesn't track out but we follow
a year-round schedule. I work 10 months of the year and get paid for 10
months- it's just spread out over 12 months. For instance, this year our
first workday is July 23 and the kids return July 30. We get 2 weeks off in
October, 2 weeks in December, and 3 weeks off in March. Then, final exams
are over with by Memorial Day and just 3 workdays after that. There's a
couple of workdays in each of those breaks. We start a little earlier than
most schools and get big breaks rather than lots of workdays scattered
about. I LOVE this schedule. In fact, I haven't met a teacher or students
that doesn't love it. I'm not as burnt out at my year-round school as I was
when I was on a regular school year calendar. I love year-round school but
as a 10-month employee- I would miss my summer studio/pool time way too much
to work like a normal (non-teacher) does though the extra pay would be nice.

Loving it year-round...
Michelle Harrell in Raleigh, NC

Jayna wrote "..I want to explain how year round school happens here
in Wake Co. NC, and I imagine it is quite similar elsewhere. Classroom
teachers take about three weeks off when their "tracks" take three weeks
off. There are four tracks of students and four tracks of
teachers who take turns, one at a time, taking about three weeks off. Then
there is the fifth track: the art teacher, the band instructor, the chorus
teacher, the health/pe, strings, etc. The fifth track is literally year
round."