Native American Web Resources

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 13:19:36 PDT

Or American Indian....(Indian is now accepted again).
These are some links I had sent to myself at school (to share with staff members there)....I sent them back to me today so I could add them to my site.

Carnegie Museum of Natural History
American Indians and the Natural World
http://www.clpgh.org/cmnh/exhibits/north-south-east-west/index.html
"American Indians have an enduring heritage of connections with the natural universe..... Exploring tribes from four different locales, this online exhibit from the well-known Pittsburgh museum concludes: "Though all of these peoples have chosen different pathways and strategies for making a life in their various environments, one similar concept is voiced by all -- that a reciprocal connection exists between people and the rest of the world."
Note: If anyone lives in the Pittsburgh area --this museum has some great resources for the classroom --you can get them on loan for two weeks (?).

First Nations Histories
http://www.tolatsga.org/Compacts.html
...Fifty native tribes (in alpha order from the Abenaki of New England to the Winnebago of Wisconsin) are covered with single paragraph summaries that expand to full page reports.

Oneida Nation: Shako:wi Cultural Center
http://www.oneida-nation.net/exhib.html
"The Oneida Indian Nation, one of the original members of the
Iroquois Confederacy, enjoys a unique role in America's history
having supported the Colonies in the struggle for independence
from England. ....." Great
photos and terrific use of 360-degree movies....

Native American Shelters
http://www.anthro.mankato.msus.edu/prehistory/settlements/index.shtml
.....But contrary to popular culture, not all
American Indians lived in tepees. This site from Minnesota State
University explains in words and pictures, that outside the Midwest,
Indians lived in ice igloos, adobe villages, wooden plank houses
and more.

Song Catcher Frances Densmore
http://news.mpr.org/features/199702/01_smiths_densmore/docs/index.shtml
....a young music teacher from a respectable Midwestern family vowed
to preserve the old Indian songs in wax. Frances Densmore spent her
life trying to gather up scraps and artifacts of the old Indian
ways, shipping them off to the high ground of the Smithsonian
Institution before a tide of American progress rose to carry them
away."

And a couple fun activities for kids to do after they finish their studies on Native American culture:

Indian Dwelling Mix & Match
http://www.surfnetkids.com/games/indians-mm.htm

Indian Tribe Word Search
http://www.surfnetkids.com/games/indians-ws.htm

Native American culture/art is always a popular topic on this list....Post any new sites you have found....about any Native American culture...even if you think folks have seen it before......You never know.

Judy D.

---