Re: displaying work

---------

From: Lori Graham (graham24_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 12:13:34 PDT

RE: displaying workWhen will we have the courage to say something as simple as" this is work that deserves to be displayed "without regard to a fear that somebody's self esteem will be offended.

  Even with the best intentions, it seems this is the era where we will offend someone's self-esteem. I just finished a year with a college student who complained to my dean and the administration about her self-esteem being damaged. Early in the semester, in a critique, I praised two students for their splendid work. It went downhill from there. What I learned from this is that it is worth the agony of being "reported" for my transgressions. The students I praised are going on to great schools, majoring in architecture. THEY are worth the days when I was drawn and quartered due to this woman's insecurity, and her own lack of self-esteem. Charge on!

---