lost 60 minutes segment

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 10:45:16 PDT

Becky,

I know exactly the 60 minutes segment you are referring to. I have it on
tape (at school) and I've been sitting here racking my brain trying to
remember their names. (It's not the couple referred to in the EGG segment).
His name is Herb and I know they donated the collection to the National
Gallery of Art. I just went to that site but still couldn't find the names.

Interesting thing about the story. I show the tape to my Why Man Creates
class (which is an aesthetics and analytical class) when we discuss How the
Artist Survives. Now, when I watch this piece about this couple (yes, he
work for the post office and she was a librarian I think) I want to cry.
Herb was completely self taught, but obviously had an eye for innovation.
They kept all the pieces in their apartment. If I remember correctly they
often bartered for works, got Christo drawings for watching his cat. They
never wanted to know the value of anything and still don't. They decided to
donate it to the National Gallery so it would be free for all to see.

My student's reaction is very strange. They think, this couple, instead of
giving this incredible gift to the nation, should have sold the collection
and given the money to poor people. I have a very difficult time with this
discussion and it happens every time I show the piece. They think these
people are "nuts" for enjoying art for art's sake. Just another thing I
don't get about this generation. I am an old fogie.

I may go into school tomorrow to do some work. I will be sure to check the
tape. It's making me crazy that I can't remember the name right now.

Patty

---