Elementary architecture

---------

From: holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 03:51:23 PDT

I also use that book as an inspiration for a printmaking project I do
with first graders. They make printboards of their idea of a dream
house, using foam paper, glued onto 8"x11" tagboard. Textural details
are added by pressing into the foam pieces with pencils. Then they
create prints, using brayers and block printing ink. They make individual
prints, and also print on large mural paper. I provide five pieces of
this paper, and draw a horizontal line close to the bottom edge of the
paper, so all the house prints are on the same level. The next week, the
students add details to the mural paper, using markers and/or crayons.
It is a great cooperative project, as they are in groups of whoever
happened to print their houses next to each other on a particular piece
of paper. They need to dcesign their "street"; they have the space
around their house to do with as they wish, but must also make group
decisions about drawing in the actual street, sidewalks, etc.

Mary H.

>With kinders I read them The Big Orange Splot and they created their dream
>house...on house shaped paper and had to name them. We also read Roberto
>the Insect Architect and did wood scupltures...We read a House is a House
>for Me and made animal houses out of clay. We also made a house texture
>tile out of clay. Hope this helps!

---