Pos. & neg. space, reflec. of 1st year tchr.....

---------

From: holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 03:30:21 PDT

Thanks for sharing that powerful experience, Marc. I teach elementary
art, and there is nothing like those times when everyone in class is
focused, and you can feel that connection. It makes me think of those
moments, also, when I feel truly connected with my own painting. Years
ago, a wonderful painting instructor talked to me about the concept of
having a painting "speak to you".... At that time, I didn't understand
what she meant...then, one day, I was working on a painting, and I knew.
As I would ponder what decision to make, an idea would pop into my head,
and I knew that was the right thing to do. The whole painting was made
of decisions like that. "What should I paint here? I've never done
anything like that--no, just do it. o.k." The painting was very
different from anything I had ever done, and was a real breakthrough--and
the first time I experienced having a painting "paint itself". It
doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it is truly magical. I
try to convey some of this to my students.

I, also, love the book, "Dakota".

Mary H.

> In my own experience I
>know that, in silence, I have felt a powerful connection (call it what you
>will--spirit, energy . . .) among those gathered in the room and with a
>higher power (once again, call it what you will . . .)
>
>There was a part of this experience in my room that day. My students felt
>it. Several told me they did. Kandinsky said that "the artist must train,
>not only they eye, but also the spirit." Together, the students and I began
>to get a sense of that.

---