Re: coaching and a lost 60 minutes segment

---------

From: felsecker1 (felsecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 08:01:10 PDT

Hi Becky!
    YES!! I teach art (Beg. Art; Drawing; Design; Painting I; Watercolor I) and consumer education (10 sections of Art and 2 sections of ConEd) and am the high school girls tennis coach! Actually, I just ended a week of teaching summer school con.ed. while the teacher they did hire, took off for on a trip to her parents. She's now back and I can get down to business with what I NEED to do this summer.
But yes, it IS tough to manage it all. Our season is very intense (sometimes 4 meets a week and then a meet or tournament on Saturday-with daily practices for two hours each day after school on non-meet days). We begin practice on Aug. 13th this year (two hour practice in the am and two-hour practice in the pm) and school actually begins on Aug. 23rd. The "season" ends around the end of October depending on if you have girls who make it to "state" and we had a doubles team who made it to "state" last year. It was GREAT!! Also, this fall we're going to a 4-block schedule having just finished our traditional 6-class per day schedule in early June. So, I'll have three-85 minute classes with an 85 min. prep every day.
I am developing my teaching strategy for the 4-block and am also trying to develop a humanities class (art history combined with music history) for 2002. I love art history and would love to be able to teach 11th and 12th graders in that area. That is my "dream" that, someday, will materialize.
 I, too, am married and have a 24-year old who is a teacher (lives three hours away) and a 16-year old who is a student at the same high school and participates on the tennis team. (she was a member of the doubles team that made it to state) I am also in the middle of pursuing my master's degree which helps with my professional development plan. So once tennis season ends, I am back into taking classes for that.
At the present I am getting ready for my 15-day trip to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, and England!! AND I AM PSYCHED!! I took a group last summer and it was tremendous! (we went to Italy and all the other places except Germany and Austria). Art history is plentiful in Europe!!
So, life is FULL and at times, stressful. But, it is also exciting and satisfying.
I put together a simple questionaire for the secondary teachers on this list a month or so ago, hoping to compile all the names so we could communicate directly. That list will be coming out within a short time-so if you're interested, let me know.
Barb F.