Re: Displaying Student Artwork

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 06:48:11 PDT

> Peter and Marty Rombold wrote:
>
> How do you handle the artwork produced by special needs kids who are
> integrated into the classrooms? The ones whose disabilities prevent
> their ever producing outstanding work but who pour more energy,
> thought and effort into their products than your better students? I
> hang everyone's art unless they beg me not to.

First off, I'm in agreement with Bunki regarding the display of the best
artwork in the hallway (I teach HS). We do critiques after each
assignment so the students recognize their own and others' strengths and
weaknesses on the assignment. I have found that sooner or later, nearly
every student produces work that is acceptable for the hallway display.

With regard to the SpEd students: My LD students often have work on
display; art is the one area where they seem to really shine. The EMH
and TMH students are very pleased when I escort them to their
self-contained room to show off their work to their teacher, T.A.s, and
fellow students. Since I usually have 2-3 of them at a time, I set
aside one week to showcase their work in a group show in the hallway.
Their work attracts just as much attention as the others', and gets them
recognition they wouldn't get otherwise.

Maggie

---