Re: coaching and a lost 60 minutes segment

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 06:40:04 PDT

Hi Becky - I can't help you with the 60 minute segment (sounds interesting!)
but I teach K-12 art, K-2 Library, and as of next year K-6 technology
(although in library and technology I still teach art! *L* - they can TRY to
reassign me all they want! *L*). In the spring, along with my elementary
museum show, high school museum show, K-2 art show, 3-4 art show, 5-6 art
show, 7-12 Fine Arts Night, High School league contest, and K-2 Prairie
Program night and let's not forget Prom, I also coach Softball. How do I
handle the time constraints? Good question! I too am married with 2 children
(ages 13 & 18) who both play sports. Last spring when things got really
hectic, my upper level classes ALL learned to hang art shows. ALL the kids
learned how to mat. I spent long hours at school - but ONLY on nights when
my children didn't have activities of their own. It's hectic, but I don't
really have any wonderful time savers for you - other than having to just
set priorities and let lesser things go. I do have LOADS of empathy for you
tho! At least my kids aren't young enough to require my time as much as your
4 year old. Does she come to your meets and work as your "towel girl" or
mascot?
~Michal

>First, does anyone teach art and coach? I teach high school (beginning,
advanced and AP art classes >with hopefully two preps a day next year - only
one this year) and am the varsity swim coach. It is >demanding during
season and I am just wondering how others may handle the time crunch. I
also am >married and have a four year old daughter.....

---