Re: start the year

---------

From: ´|Lá (mack88_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 21:32:09 PDT

I start my middle school students with simple assignments using their
initials and block style lettering. One assignment puts their initials in a
folded triangle which when opened up and transfered on a light box becomes a
wonderful symetrical design ( they use markers to complete). The idea of
taking something familiar and having it transform before them is
captivating. As they work, I emphasize the
importance of good use of materials, following directions, acurate measuring
and folding as well as all my classroom expectations. I like my materials
well organized so that they know right from the start that everything in the
room as a place where it belongs. This establishes cleanup expectations and
makes it possible to begin all the painting, color wheel and messier
projects after that.
  This fall may be a little different for me though. Our teachers union may
be protesting some heavy layoffs with a work to rule starting day one. I
don't know how I can get my room ready in one day. It usually take s me at
least 3 or 4 days of organizing. before school begins. I am lucky to have a
job. They completely eliminated Home Ed and Tech Ed in my middle school
system. I hope art is not next.
K Mack