Re: year round school

---------

From: Jayna Ledbetter (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 05:17:33 PDT

L.P. Skeen and others,
I want to explain how year round school happens here
in Wake Co. NC, and I imagine it is quite similar
elsewhere. Classroom teachers take about three weeks
off when their "tracks" take three weeks off. There
are four tracks of students and four tracks of
teachers who take turns, one at a time, taking about
three weeks off. Then there is the fifth track: the
art teacher, the band instructor, the chorus teacher,
the health/pe, strings, etc. The fifth track is
literally year round. There are always students at
school, except holidays and the first week of July
which is a transition period for teachers, and when
students are "promoted". This makes the first day of
school for me to be July 2nd, and for students July
9th. Since I will be on my honeymoon from the 7th
through the 17th, I had to get subs for the 8 school
days I'll miss. This comes from my vacation time which
is earned, just like any other job. This means I
start out my new job "in the hole", and it will be a
long time before I get any more vacation time. When I
do, I am responsible for getting a sub for those days.
Also, my required teacher work days must take place
while kids are at school, and I have to get subs for
that, too. So, those cool "mini-vacations" don't apply
to me.

Jayna