Re: Elementary architecture

---------

From: Susan Bennett (sbennett_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 20:00:17 PDT

In second grade I do long units on vangogh and monet. I go back and forth nearly the whole year tying in various concept that they used and create visual projects from thier work. One is looking at Monet's work of his pink house, gardens etc and looking and examing vangogh's yellow howe. Talking about how important color is to a building, or lack of color. We look at all kind of styles of house in the US. I tlel them very quickly of a John Stosel story I heard about a town in Claifornia that did not like the Mexican color influence ion building in thier town and the town outlawed brightly colored buildings. We talk about style and architecture what goes together what doesn't . Who should decide if you cna paint your houspurple or whatever. I then give them some sheets of various style houses, just dimple line drawings. They are to draw and color a house they would like to live in some day.. some of my children do not live in houses so they are very eager to draw their hous. I throw in a few Frank Lloyd Wright phots so they see the house on the waterfalls etc. This house is drawn large at least 12" x 18". A background on a separate sheet is created. Larger construction pape is used for this background. The house is placed on this sheet and then the surrounding of the house is sketched lightly and then painted. Going back to Van Gogh and Monet we notice how they depicted their home in various times and seasons, places, country, city etc. The kids take this seriously and work very hard. Only second grade mind you. We then create a small house plague out of clay as an extension to this. Susan in Ohio