Re: Is it illegal for students to grade other students' papers?

---------

From: The Erickson's (Jorgen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 18:38:57 PDT

Irene,
The 10th Circuit Court in Denver (regional court that has jurisdiction over
Oklahoma) ruled that it is illegal for students to grade one anothers work,
homework or tests. Although this ruling only has jurisdiction over this
region it was mentioned in the newspaper article that the ruling was quite
clear and would be easily upheld in other courtrooms across the country if
such a case appears before them. Also, they will now have a ruling to cite.
 The case that caused the above ruling concerned privacy issues and
students' rights to privacy.

We (in our district) have been instructed to comply with this ruling and not
to allow ANY student grading. I personally do not feel that this applies
to students verbally critiquing one another's work as long as it is done in
a respectful, supportive manner or to a student completing a self evaluation
but that is my personal opinion.

Cindy in Oklahoma

---