Louise Nevelson sculpture

---------

From: Fran Legman (design18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 17:57:34 PDT

Last week (tomorrow is our last day in Montclair, NJ), my two fourth grade
classes finished their Louise Nevelson sculptures. Each child made their
own sculpture in a wooden crate (about large shoebox size) that clementines
are sold in. I asked parents to send them in and received 100! They then
glued in the wooden pieces that you can order from the catalogues. Each
week they turned the box and glued them from the bottom. Then they glued on
all types of jewelry pieces, buckles, beads and stuff. I then had parents
spray paint them gold or silver and I stacked them to make one huge modular
sculpture similar to Louise Nevelson's work. It was beautiful. Next year
I'll do them early in the year so we can display it all year. We displayed
the large sculpture and then each student got to take home their own
sculpture. Of course none of the other teachers had a clue who Louise
Nevelson was, but they still were amazed at the work. I have some great
photos of it. If any of you would like me to email them to you, just email
me personally and let me know.

I also did the hose/hanger sculpture that I learned about on this site, with
my fifth graders and they loved them. They also are quite beautiful.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. Fran in NJ