Re: displaying student work

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 17:07:25 PDT

It's interesting the way you pointed this out. I require my Art 3 & 4
students to participate in our local museum's student art show, as well as
compete in our league art show (both are judged). It is also a requirement
that ALL high school students exhibit in our own Fine Arts Night. Anyway, I
had an Art 3 student who entered two works in the museum's show. I thought
both pieces were wonderful. However, the judge's critique sayed things like
"Wonderfully spiritual" or "Interesting color combination" (she had used
complementary colors alot?). This student asked what was meant by the
critiques and why didn't I think she had done so poorly. I explained to her
that all artists have their own style, likes/dislikes, and
techniques/mediums. Ex. - if an artist was into fantasy art, then a painting
of a floral still life probably wouldn't hold much appeal. Well, these same
2 pieces both won blue ribbons at league contest.
~Michal

>Why do I do this? I get many students who have never had a project on
display anytime during their >elementary years (K thru 5)...and even more
who have never been in our district art show. It is >interesting, when we
have judges come in from other schools for our district show--they often
select >works that I would not have selected as the "best" and they
frequently select pieces that I put in from >students who have never been in
our shows.
>Who is decide what is good art?

---