Re: principal's response to art.....

---------

From: Joy McGugan (mizjmac_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 14:36:23 PDT

I was having an observation once in a middle school class. Although it was a small class (maybe 15) it was all boys and some of them were rather wild, to put it mildly. Anyway, we were drawing a still life which was the culmination of a lot of skills thay had been accumulating (Betty Edwards Right Brain). So I went through my little lecture and demo and then they started. The only thing was, some were VERY fast workers with VERY short attention spans. I was starting to get a little panicky feeling when I looked over towards the principle. The boys had HIM drawing the still life, giving him feedback and pointing out his problems (which were quite a few). He realized that they had been building on skills and it was probably one of the most successful evaluations I ever had.

Joy