Re: painting collages

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 07:17:14 PDT

Jeannie,

I usually have my students create a personal collage. I begin the school
year with this project and it grows as we learn different media, I teach
high school Art I.

1. Have students list 20 things about themselves, they have a hard time
thinking about this. (social, family culture, deep feelings, etc.)
2. Give them newprint and divide into 20 spaces, equal or not.
3. Complete 20 basic sketches that represents items from the list.
4. Cut out the sketches.
5. Arrange on an 8x10 piece of construction paper as a collage, maybe even
9x12. Can not be organized in rows, no part of the construction paper
should be shown, sketches may hang off the edge. At this point, not
necessary to use all 20 sketches but minimum of 12 meeting the objective
in first part of sentence here.
6. We then use this collage for various lessons, with the finished piece
completed by the end of the sememster, it counts as 1/2 of their
sememster exam grade, showing improvement through the semester. The
different lessons incorporated into the collage are:
        a. Enlargement ( this is done on paper that will accept various media, I
used heavy grade manilla, tagboard, posterboard, etc.
        b. pencil as a media (value, hatching, cross hatching, stippling (ink
here)
        c. colored pencil, conte chalk, markers, crayon, tempera paint, acrylic
paint
        d. The final piece includes, all the elements and principals of design in
it.

Again, this piece is on-going, with each grade as a daily grade on the
media and then I have my students do test projects using various media,
subject, and style (art history)

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org