Re(2): Is it illegal for students to grade other students' papers?

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 13:25:13 PDT

Displaying which students work is a sticky topic to me. I am going to
jump out on the limb here and probably upset several but I personally do
not display anything but A's either. To add to this, it is A's that the
student has genuinely worked for, students who spend extra time on work,
who work to the best they can and desire improvement, practice in spare
time. Not all students can be chair #1 in band, not all students can be
choosen as best of show, not all students can be choosen as all star in
the plays, not all students can stand alone and sing. Not all of us can
have our work hanging in the local gallery but that does not mean we give
up or do not honor what we do. Not all can be the CEO of a company.
Students have to learn to work for what comes to them, not given to them.
Not all students want any of this. We are different in that our students
stand alone at all times, never part of a group, (cast of characters,
part of choir, part of dance group, part of music group). Students in my
opinion have to learn and find what they excel in. Do I turn my back on
those that have trouble, no, I continue to encourage the higher skills.
Are all my A's based on the best work, no. So how do I determine whose
work is displayed, from work habits, from approach to the problems, from
sheer talent, from my desire to encourage that child.

Hope this make sense.

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org