RE: Elementary architecture

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 12:52:20 PDT

We did an architecture exhibit years ago.

A local paper company donated scrap cardboard and we taught the kids to
score and bend it to make buildings. We build buildings out of pasteboard
boxes.

The kids made "maps" of their rooms.

Check and see if you can get access to a computer lab with a CAD program.
You can also use something like MSPublisher2000 to "lay out a room" using
different sized boxes.

Have them design the _______________ (home/school/work) of the future.

See if you can get a copy of blue prints of someplace they all know (school
(if they go to the same one), library, city hall,), better if you can walk
through the building with the blue prints in hand and compare 3-D with 2-D
renderings.

Design mosaic tiles

There are some architecture blocks you can by for creating buildings on a
tabletop also a magnetic kit with the same idea

Regular building blocks (be careful of the height if using larger blocks so
no-one gets clonked on the head)

T squares the kids got the biggest kick out of using them

Field trip to architects' office to see the real thing (trip to a building
site the designed as a follow up)

That's is all I can think of right now.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator