Re: Positive and Negative Space--Reflections of a First Year Teacher 1

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 12:29:01 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: UnclmonkEE@aol.com
> This was my first year teaching middle school art.....
(snips)
> During this particular 8th Grade class, I was almost finished with this
> "sermon", when I realized that the room was totally silent.....Every student
>in the > room was focused on the model and drawing with a fierce, but quiet
>intensity.....30 minutes later, my voice just > above a whisper, I told the
>students that class was almost over Quietly, > they got up , put away their
>supplies, wahsed their hands, glanced over each > others drawings and the class
was over. Jay, the model, spoke to me after > class. Neither of us could
>believe what we just witnessed.

Those moments ARE special, aren't they? Special because it's not an everyday
occurrence. I get goosebumps in class when everyone comes together as one,
gets involved, and the project "clicks". I also get a thrill when they talk
"arttalk" around me. Makes me feel I've made a difference.

Doesn't matter if you're a first year teacher or an old bitty like me, those
feelings never go away! Toodles...Bunki

---