Re: Is it illegal for students to grade other students' papers?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 11:04:03 PDT

At the K-6 level I display each project as a class - even those students who
"hide" their projects so I won't hang it up (99% of the time this student
put in 1% effort). At the middle school level I choose 1 or 2 projects from
each "group" to display - and I try to always show each student's "best"
work - just because this group is so self-consious. At the high school level
they never know when I am going to say "Critique Day!". Then ALL projects go
up (in progress) and we talk about them. I don't hang every project, so
student's never know which project is going on display.
 As far as displaying only "A" work - I have what I call my "Ace Case" - a
display case out in the hall. I have sole control over what goes in this
case. I do only put "A" projects in the case, but an "A" project for an Art
1 is a far cry from an "A" project for an Art 4. Also, sometimes a student
has experimented or put in extreme effort. These projects may not always be
pleasing to look at, but these students have definately learned the most.
These students deserve praise for their efforts.
None of these are against the law. We had this discussion last fall when the
supreme court ruled on the illegality of the grading policy, and I don't
remember the specifics on why, but it doesn't pertain much to us. :-)
~Michal

> > My question is this . . . When I display a student's drawing, aren't I,
> in
> > effect, announcing the student's grade? I don't know about you all, but
> > almost never display B work . . .

---