displaying B work......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 10:53:39 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: K2flames2@aol.com
> why not display B work? not everyone can produce A work!
***************************

As this question is becoming a thread, I imagine we will all have varying
opinions on this and what I have to say will probably not change anyone's
opinion...kinda like politics...(grin). Despite that, I'll venture one.

Why display B work? It's not the best quality to show others what is
happening in your classroom. Let's face it, people judge your program (they
do at MY school) with the finished visuals they see on the display walls. B
work can be displayed in the CLASSROOM but I also do this beside A work so
the kids can compare. I even have them do written comparision assessments so
I KNOW they are seeing the difference. When I do this, I put up all work on
the cabinets and give each a number. There is more than one class at a time
when I do this so other classes don't know the artist of every work. They
are quite honest when it comes to comparing their work with others. On the
assessment they are asked their favorite numbered choice/why. Their's least
favorite choice/why, then answer various questions about their OWN
individual work in comparison.

However, when it comes to displaying for the school, the A work gets the
nod. When it comes to our school art webpage, the A work is chosen. Even
when I look at other websites, I compare our work with others. It's a
natural thing to do. Galleries do the same thing. Juried shows do the same.
In retrospective art shows you are seeing the best of the best.

B work is what it implies. It's not thought-out well. It's generally more
sloppy than the A work. It has accomplished the goals but barely. Why should
I put this work on display when I know the student can do better? It's kinda
like giving an award for mediocrity.

B art students generally shine in other areas....just like A art students
shine in my classroom. Surely we as art teachers aren't so blind as to
realize that the students know the difference too? Toodles....Bunki

---