Re: Visual Culture

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 08:09:43 PDT

You might look for Dr. F Graeme Chalmers on this topic. I believe he is more
of a visual culture guy than a visual literacy guy. I think he actually
substitutes the phrase "visual culture" for the word art and "visual culture
studies" for art education.

And I'm willing to go ahead and stick my foot in it- I think this is PC talk.
"Art" sometimes sounds elitist, extraneous, foofy, ineffable, expensive and not
practical. If you say "visual culture," then it sounds like something that
everyone participates in every day because we used aesthetic criteria when we
picked out our toothbrushes. Of course our kids need to be educated about
visual culture because it affects them moment to moment and shapes their
decision making, and they will in turn use visual culture to influence others.

Personally, I'd just as soon broaden my definition of art and teach that art is
a part of everyone's lives, and not something outside of daily experience.
That way I can have an art experience every time I brush my teeth.

Susan Holland
susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu
or permanent e-mail
susanh@alumni.utexas.net