Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Visual Culture

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 08:09:11 PDT

What a fascinating idea! Do you have any limitations on what objects can be
brought in? (I'm just picturing some of the CD covers - some of them are
pretty graphic). Did you assign students to bring something in, or how did
you handle it in more than one or nobody brought in something? What a great
way to discuss aesthetics!

I think that I include this topic in my high school art classes, but don't
really call it that. Last year I started a ritual in my Sr. Studio that is
about visual culture (I think).
We built a pedestal out of scrap wood and called it the "aesthetic altar".
Fridays, any student could bring in an item, object, etc. to place on the
altar. We would then hold a class discussion about how/ if the object
"qualified" as an object of beauty and why. Many times we would spend a lot
of time talking about what made it beautiful but also about the reasons why
the student brought it in; how it "fit" into our culture, what made it
visually interesting, etc. Each student would also draw the object into
his/her visual journal as an entry for the day. Sometimes it actually
inspired kids to create an artwork based on something about the object- or
something in conceptual context with the object or the discussion.
Does this apply to what you call visual culture or not?