Re: Visual Culture

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 08:09:11 PDT

What a fascinating idea! Do you have any limitations on what objects can be
brought in? (I'm just picturing some of the CD covers - some of them are
pretty graphic). Did you assign students to bring something in, or how did
you handle it in more than one or nobody brought in something? What a great
way to discuss aesthetics!
~Michal

I think that I include this topic in my high school art classes, but don't
really call it that. Last year I started a ritual in my Sr. Studio that is
about visual culture (I think).
We built a pedestal out of scrap wood and called it the "aesthetic altar".
On
Fridays, any student could bring in an item, object, etc. to place on the
altar. We would then hold a class discussion about how/ if the object
"qualified" as an object of beauty and why. Many times we would spend a lot
of time talking about what made it beautiful but also about the reasons why
the student brought it in; how it "fit" into our culture, what made it
visually interesting, etc. Each student would also draw the object into
his/her visual journal as an entry for the day. Sometimes it actually
inspired kids to create an artwork based on something about the object- or
something in conceptual context with the object or the discussion.
Does this apply to what you call visual culture or not?

---