Re: school days

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 04:54:32 PDT

Here in Connecticut, students have 180 days, and teachers have 185 days. The school year began for us August 28th and for students August 30th. Next year is scheduled essentially the same way. We were scheduled to be out June 11th, but had 6 snow days to make up, so our last day was yesterday the 19th.

When our present superintendent first arrived here from Vermont, many of us were encouraged by his "tough guy" approach to snow days. Then there were 4 weather related school bus accidents in the region during his first two winters. Fortunately no one was hurt, but now he calls snow days for much less severe conditions. True, we do have a region that covers an enormous area with many miles of remote winding roads in the hills, so what looks fine for travel here may be a very different situation somewhere else. Regardless, I wish he'd just return to his previous "tough guy" stand on snow days so we can get out closer to June 11th next year.

Mark

---