Re: school days

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 21:14:59 PDT

> being an agricultural state. During the summer months the kids were
> needed at home to help plant and harvest,

Same reason for my region of the country. My Great Grandfather and
Great-Great Grandfather taught in a one room school house on their property.
School was just November thru March (I think....anyway fewer months than
now).

Most schools in our area are not air conditioned....No way you could get the
kiddies to learn in the heat and humidity we have had that last couple
weeks.

In general....Our schools start the last week of August and are out the
first week of June -- this is the way we do it here in Ohio. Can't have the
kiddies going to school during their county fairs....(although we did start
one year while the fair was on ---had lots of kids out because they had to
tend their animals).

Judy

---