Re: noise level:to san d

---------

From: vicki ranck (vranck_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 16:40:10 PDT

I love the hee and haw. perfect! i also allow converstation in my classes (i
teach 6-8). and you can learn so much from the children when you just
listen. sometimes it breaks my heart, sometimes it makes me laugh, sometimes
it makes me angry. for instance: in our school last year; a little school in
tn. the word pimp was big stuff. first off let me tell you the principal
banned that kind of logo on a tshirt and i agree. but one day in class one
of my most favorite students, and black at that, was talking about pimping
this or that and i reared up and said: "so you believe in slavery?" and his
jaw just about hit the ground and he said, "what are you talking about?" i
said, "well that's all pimps are, they sell women." anyway to make a long
story short i got all over them for the pimp stuff, and then i went one step
further about the music that apparently seems to make the kids act this way
, and said what about the music, and one of the kids said that his mom had
counted the "f" word 46 times in one song. i said, i want you to go home and
take out all the curse words and bring me back the lyrics....there won't be
any music left.....so i said, are you really willing to pay this person to
scream obsenities at you and make him a millionaire? that left them totally
dumbfounded. unfortunately they will still buy the music and still be
hypnotized by the media... anyway i think i got their attention at least for
a moment...
vicki in tn

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/