Re: school days

---------

Holly112_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 15:37:15 PDT

In New York, we generally start after Labor Day and go til the 3rd week in
June. (NYC goes longer, this year we worked 9 more days than our friends on
Long Island!) I'll be finished the 27th, which is really a LONG time! I
have to go back for a professional day on Sept4th, a Superintendent
Conference Day on the 5th and school starts with students on the 6th.

But I promise I will appreciate my summer vacation! I have made what feels
like hundreds of adjustments this year, and at least I'll know what to
expect, more or less. Rumors are flying around my school that the principal
won't be back in September. That makes the 4th principal down in 4 years.
I am trying to lighten up and not take my students actions personally. Some
days they are almost okay and when you least expect it, they throw things or
some such disruption. THese hot days , they are throwing bottles of water at
each other in the hallways, stairwells and even in the classrooms! (Can you
imagine?!!!)
"They're just playing..." is a kind of tongue-in-cheek sypathetic reply that
one says to other teachers who vent like I do about such occurances. Which
BTW, i'd like to thank you for! You got me through a very tough year!!!

Holly :0)

In a message dated 6/19/01 5:06:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
whest177@wheatstate.com writes:

> As I sit here and read the mail of those of you left in school, I was
> > wondering when you actually begin. It is June 19, we are out here in
> > Texas, have been since May 24-26. We begin around August 15, what makes
> > up the difference? When do most other states begin? I couldn't imagine
> > still being in school during this time of the year.

---