Re: school days

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 14:03:27 PDT

I don't know what a typical school day is for those on either coast, but the
history of our general school calendar revolves around us (I'm in Kansas)
being an agricultural state. During the summer months the kids were needed
at home to help plant and harvest, so school was held during the
"off-season" months. With the way farming is done today, there is really no
need for the 9 month school calendar, other than "it's the way it's always
been done". I would love to hear the reasoning behind other region's school
year! :-)
~Michal

> As I sit here and read the mail of those of you left in school, I was
> wondering when you actually begin. It is June 19, we are out here in
> Texas, have been since May 24-26. We begin around August 15, what makes
> up the difference? When do most other states begin? I couldn't imagine
> still being in school during this time of the year.

---