Re: Last Day

---------

From: Peter Gorham (gorhapej_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 17:43:13 PDT

Just sending the last art works home with the younger elementary
grades.
I teach Art in a K-12 school in rural New Brunswick. The last class
with my elementary students was spent making posters and signs
for the Middle and High School Awards Banquet.
A good way to end the year. The sort of project that could get up
your nose if it was imposed, but it certainly felt educationally sound
to this Art teacher.
This term a few high school students, as well as some teachers
who were taking a university course in my room after hours and
some elementary students worked intermittantly on a sculpture that
transformed portable radio, and an old chair and a lot of other stuff
into an ant and later when science books were checked and wings
were added - It became a Bee.
When the work slowed down on this project I would ask an
elementary class to draw some ideas for the people working on the
sculpture. These sketches helped breathe life into the project as
well as start conversations between the grade levels and home
and school. The Bee has been playing music (usually quietly) in
the elementary entrance to our school and has been by most
reports a quieting influence in the halls.
Everyone has been very careful with this rather fragile artwork.
 The bee will be in our local paper this week and the town hall for
the summer.
We all learned something about the insect world - one
teacher/student added a "sap sucker" a long curled tonguelike
appendage the next morning a 6 yearold took one look and said
matter of factly " nice proboscis" (sp?) LOL

Have a great summer
Peter

---