high numbers next September

---------

From: Christine Sandeson (c.sandeson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 09:01:55 PDT

Hi all

Had a brief chat with our principal today and learned that 69 have
preregistered out of grade 9 for my art 10 next fall. Of the 150
coming into the high school, 60 have accommodations or behavioral
concerns. That means that nearly half of the 9's have chosen my
course over art or drama, and the junior high teachers say this is
the "lowest level" grade 9 they have ever had. Those projections
have me a little concerned (would Woody say to laugh it off?)...

As a .5 teacher I teach 2 blocks of 10's and one other block which
will be a 11/12 split (where 28 are preregistered). Hopefully we can
have the 2 art 10's limited to 27 students, as I share a regular
classroom with 2 other teachers and have no water, counter space, and
store supplies in the photocopy room (slave).

a previous post indicated that the high numbers might indicate
previous "good work" but I'm a little unnerved by these numbers.
Classroom management tips are always welcome.

Christene in Nova Scotia (not the other Christine)

---