RE: My God!!

---------

From: Rebecca Stone-Danahy (RebeccaStoneDanahy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 05:46:59 PDT

I'm pretty sure this is true. I was listening to NPR a few weeks a go and
they did a report on a German artist (I can't remember the name) who has
developed this new art form. Apparently, he has a long list of donors who
give their bodies up for the "art" after they die. Although I do think that
he started with homeless people in the beginning. He has developed this
"embalming" technique where he drains the bodily fluids and then soaks the
body in a sort of silicone or latex bath (I don't remember the exact
details). When the body is taken out of the solution it is perfectly
preserved and in a sort of rubber like state. The body can then be
manipulated to the artists whim. One of the features of his current show is
a pregnant woman and the stomach is opened or can be opened to reveal the
fetus. A few of the locals interviewed thought that the show was great as
it was educational and they did not think it was sensational at all. I
think that artist has shown only in Germany thus far but wants to go
international with his work. This was on NPR based around the Winston-Salem
area if someone wanted to do a little leg work and contact the station.