RE: Is it illegal for students to grade other students' papers?

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 20:10:28 PDT

It is illegal (a violation of federal law) for anyone other than the
teacher, student, student's parents and/or guardian (if student is under
18), and certified school personal directly involved with the student
(councilors, principals, other teachers, etc.) to have any access to student
information other than directory information (and that requires approval of
student (parents and/or guardian if under aged)). This is similar to
Doctor/Patient confidentiality. I don't know if you can be criminally
charged, but you can be sued in civil court.

My university even refused to send grades to parents of students over 18
unless we signed a release, and the posting of grades was strictly
forbidden.

Remember students with poor grades can be teased and students with high
grades threatened (especially if they "blow the curve").

Kimberly (kimberly@wcc.net)