Re: art curriculum

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 15:10:17 PDT

I am
> working on writing a curriculum for the art program at the school where I
> teach. I would like to get some ideas on guidelines

Dear Janna,

My colleague and I just finished writing our curriculum. We wanted to keep
it generic when it came to projects and materials, and specific when it came
to skills. We did this so that we could teach different projects yearly,
and in our separate schools. So, for each grade level we had the same
units:
Unit I, Skill and Knowledge Development
A. Manipulative/Fine Motor, B. Social, C. Problem Solving, and D. Cultures
and Artists

Unit 2, Visual Communication
A. Elements, B. Principles, C. Composition,
D. Mixed Media, E. Drawing, F. Sculpture

For each grade, different and/or more complex skills are added for each
component in each unit. These units are just a way to compartmentalize the
skills we teach, we do not teach each unit, and each segment in a linear
fashion.

Hope this helps, write if you have questions or want to know more.

Leah

---