Heat Days RE: what classes to take?

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 06:58:36 PDT

They got rid of all the swamp coolers here about 5 – 7 years ago and all the
schools have AC in San Angelo. Personally I think the schools that had swamp
coolers need their air ducts thoroughly cleaned because the smell of mildew.

3 years ago the new superintendent was horrified that the kids were having
PE and recess outdoors in what he considered excessive heat. It was pointed
out that the temperature was actually below the norm and that we were having
a “cool” August in the mid to upper 90s not the lower 100s. He mandated that
every elementary child bring a water bottle to school and be allowed to
drink from it as necessary any time they were outside and for an hour after
PE. I know teachers who have those large coolers with a spout that the
sports teams use. The teachers fill them with ice and water at the beginning
of the day and the kids are allowed to drink from their water bottles in
class and fill them from the cooler.

Our state legislature in its infinite wisdom has mandated that school start
no earlier than August 20th starting 2002 – 2003 school year – to save on AC
cost. Now in West Texas it is still in the 90s in September. We have even
broken the century mark in September; you can’t convince me that starting a
week later is going to save money on AC. There is a reason we only let them
go to Austin once every two years.

Kimberly (kimberly@wcc.net)