Re: The first day-elem.

---------

From: M Ulakovits (msqu_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 06:27:04 PDT

The first day I assign seats and set the tempo for the year. In elementary,
they are very receptive at this time. Even the students that raised cain
every year since kindergarten are a little intimidated by their new class
structure and new teacher. This is the time to establish your control and
your procedures. Make sure you are prepared. Pace yourself. Again, I like
Harry Wong. Decide how you will greet them and bring them into the room.
Will you assign seats? Post your procedures and the consequences for not
following them.Since expectations are high for "doing something" in the
artroom each and every class time, and it's difficult for this age to sit
and listen for 50 minutes, (not tomention hard on the teacher repeating the
same thing 30 times), I have created a short video of myself talking
explaining some of the procedures. So I interact with the video. It's kind
of entertaining but gets all the points across. Students love it. I do two.
One for k-1 and one for 2-5. I also have them complete a bio card. Which is
a 3x5 index card (larger index cards for k&1) on which they answer questions
aboutthemselves and give me a sample of their favorite drawing on the back.
I use these for reference through out the year. It helps me understand them
and discover their motor skill level, mental acuity, interest in art, etc.
Martha

---