Re: What has happened to the Getty artsednet listserv?!

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 20:06:03 PDT

> Sounds interesting. Is this something doable w/ kids at all? I would like
> to hear more about it either way.
>
> Yes! I did a similiar weaving project with one of my third grade classes
> this year while studying different Native American cultures. I had the
> children draw a simple Native American design or symbol on graph paper. Then
> they slid it under the warp which had be threaded on a rectangular cardboard
> loom (can purchase in arts' catalogue). Then they just used over/under
> patterning.

We didn't incorpate any beads or other textiles, but I did teach them how to
change the color of their thread. For some, it was difficult to grasp the
concept of weaving horizontally, while your design might curve. Most figured it
out --oh, the lightbulbs that went off when they did!

They cut the weaving off and tied knots at the ends of their warp strings. I
helped them mount them on three pieces of construction paper in graduating
sizes. Some where incredible! The kids were so proud of their work.

I don't have the book at my fingertips, but I will look up the name of the
author/artist and e-mail to you.

Sandy

---