Re: Check out lyden.html

---------

From: jane mary (mjart49_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 08:42:17 PDT

I really enjoyed your site Ceil. We did the food plates in 3rd this year.
Actually, it has been one of the few projects I do every year with third
because they love it and I feel it is a vauable learning experience. I do
alot of clay with all grades.( My favorite media!)I have them make a collage
plate from magazine pictures. They must have 3 different foods, with 3
different textures, and 3 different colors. We first make clay plates using
a 7" paper plate for a mold. Heavy chinet paper plates are the best. Then we
talk about how to get several different textures of the different kinds of
foods. They make their foods and I fire them on the plates. Then we can
still remove the food after the firing so they can underglaze the
plates.They can decorate these plates any way they wish. We talk about
repeated designs around the edge and maybe a design in the center. Then they
underglaze the food.I fire again. Then they paint on clear glaze on the
plate and the food. After this firing the food sticks. This year it fit into
our theme because we did pop art. Next year our theme is "TROPICAL" so I may
try to tie this project in some way to that theme.MJ,PA