Re: Is Monet indeed an Impressionist?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wduncan (wduncan)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:33:41 -0500

"Impressionism" it's just a label that some newspaper critiques stuck on
a group of artists they didn't like. We all know it came from Monets
small painting of a boat at sunrise, titled "Impression Sunrise". It
stuck through the years and it is a handy enough label to get a feel for
one type of painting. If someone would like more carefully thought out
stylistic labels then go write a thesis with careful correlation to
music, literature and science, etc. It's just a label. I also love
Monet, and was very envious of friends who went to paint in his garden
rather than go to Taos.

Ellyn Wenk wrote:

> Dear ArtsEdNet group,
> Here is an email post I received from my brother. He is so
> articulate in his refusal to believe that Monet was indeed an
> impressionist that I was wondering what the rest of you feel
> about this idea?
> Now I know what Impressionism is because music also has its
> Impressionists: Debussy, Ravel, etc. The idea is that one trys to
> create
> an "atmosphere" without attention to detail or structure. True
> musical . . . . . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . . . .Ah, well, what do I know, eh? The long
> and short of it is
> that I like
> Monet but cannot abide his rank as an Impressionist.
> Ed

This E-mail message is from Artist/Teacher Woody Duncan Rosedale Middle School in Kansas City, Kansas the new URL for school is to see my beautiful grandkids Tim, Tess and Tiff click on to see my students working in the RMSartSTUDIO click on to contact me via E-mail click on wduncan better yet visit my Web Site at

  • Reply: Stenger - Judith DiSalvo: "Re: ...someone's sob story who needs help...long post"