Re: Gourd Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:03:53 -0400

RWilk85411 wrote:

> In a message dated 7/28/99 6:54:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Sdowd3656 writes:
>
> << I teach grades 9-12 and am planning to introduce gourd art to my 3-4 year
> students in 3-D art classes. >>
> What is gourd art?

It is carved gourd. I first heard of this in high school. For me it
was researching more mexican decent, but they do it in many tribal
societies. Africa come to mind, where they use calabash as a surface
to carve a stamp on for Adinkra printing ( and it is used for
various purposes). In Argentina and various hispanic countries they
scratch into a gourd (dried and scooped out) and then adhere black
(various colors) to the carved lines. I first attempted this in high
school. If you remember Greek vases, the black with white lines it
has similar effects. Someone on the list talked about drying gourds
last year.

Sandra Barrick

astroboy