Re: Clip Art -- Just Plain Cheating or is it?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
San D Hasselman (kprs)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:23:11 -0400

OK, here's my take on Clip Art. The debate isn't that cut and dry.
Why? While I don't allow my students to USE clip art, I let them know
it exists and for what reason. I worked for a couple of years for a
local quick printing place, before the advent of Kinko's. We printed
local small businesses flyers, letterhead, business cards, invoices,
etc. Suzy Q's Hair Salon did not have the capital to hire me as an
artist to "create" something for their 3 seat salon. But they could
afford me using different type fonts, working with contrast, repitition,
alignment and proximity, plus clip art to give them a product both they
and I could be proud of. Clip Art is just that "clip", cut and paste it
in, as another element. Think of clip art as type fonts. I do NOT
expect everyone to design their own type fonts, do you?

San D