Re: paper mache sarcophagi

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stacey Bernstein (staceyb)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 06:06:51 -0700

Angela,

Ross Art Paste is good stuff for papier mache.
I get it from my District warehouse, but it is also available from the Sax
catalogue. It comes as dried powder in a pack, one pack per gallon of
water. This stuff is cool as it can be pre-made and stays for a while. It
is basically clear when "gooified." (I prefer it over the wallpaper paste I
used to buy at the hardware store)
I mix it up in one gallon plastic ice cream tubs (our staff kitchen somehow
produces them from the freezer...got some sweet toothed colleagues).
Anyway, the tubs are great because they have lids for storing the "goo,"
and the opening is big enough that the tub also serves as the per-group
dispenser.

Have the kids put down newspaper under the project...it really cuts down on
table scrubbing.
Also, you might consider pre-cutting the strips of paper for the
kids...although sixth graders could do it for themselves...before their
hands get too gooey. Preparation, preparation, we do it, so can they! ;-)

I learned this from my elmentary school cooperative teacher while student
teaching: after the layers of newspaper mache are on there, add a "clean"
layer of newsprint mache... it makes for an evenly toned, brighter surface
for painting, or otherwise finishing up.
Then there is storage...hopefully you've got shelves for that.

Enjoy, sounds like a fun schoolwide unit!

-Stacey B.

At 1:29 AM -0400 7/27/99, Angela Conger wrote:
>All,
> Hello everyone! I have recently subscribed, and as a second year visual
>arts teacher...I am seeking some advice. Each year our sixth grade
>students, like many others, study Ancient Egypt. Our faculty works together
>and the culminating event is a student museum. This year, I want to take
>the sarcophagi a few steps farther. I have three classes of sixth graders
>(approx. 25 students per class), and they will be split groups. I plan on
>using papier-mache and sturdy cardboard/posterboard for the sarcophagi.
>Each group will create a two foot sarcophagus (Last year, we made life size
>two-dimensional designs). I have never made/used paper mache in my
>classroom. Do you have any ideas as to how I can make things run as
>smoothly as possible, clean-up procedures, etc.? I don't want a project
>with great learning potential to turn into a great big mess! Beside my
>classroom I have a large sink and cleaning facilities. However, I have
>seventh and eighth grade students throughout the day and I will not be able
>to do paper mache with them. What advice do you have in regards to paper
>mache procedures? Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will greatly
>appreciate it! -----Angela

"A work of art is above all an adventure of mind."
- Eugene Ionesco (1912 - 1994)

* *