Re: Re:"Clip Art Sites"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry taylor (taylorh)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:13:40 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01BED79A.F86A3D00

???? I hadn't noticed anything unusual lately, Dianna.=20
Do you think it's been hot? Old tradition, I'll take <drip> con you take =
possibilities in a civilized <drip> fashion. I'll cozy up with a nice =
with a crisp mint sprig. I LOVE the HEAT <drip> so warm <drip>=20

cheers!!! ana BIG wink <drip> ...just as soon as I find my kitty kitty
-henry IV
( .. that's half an IIXth ! )
Boy, is it the summer heat or what? Everyone seems a little cranky =
and ready to debate anything? Is this part of a summertime thing?
Just wondering....
----- Original Message -----=20
From: henry taylor=20
To: artsEdnet TALK=20
Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 5:38 PM
Subject: Re:"Clip Art Sites"
=20
Jacki, Just for fun, try the Altavista search engine =
http://www.altavista.digital.com and do a little surfing using their =
Image search button. Buttons Bars and Arrows will get hits and offer a =
quick insight as to the quality and thrust of any sites you hit.
=20
Bob,=20
Depends on the student and the class and the curricular goals =
among othet things, doesn't it? I can't see as it's even possible to =
"cheat" in art... other than outright intentional fraud or theft. And =
what constitutes theft any more requires a $200 hr. conference with your =
local copyright law pro.
=20
Clip Art is kinda like using "stock photos" purchased or public =
domain rather than going out and photographing that nice soft-focus =
seagull in the sunset frieze you might want to use as a banner on your =
guestbook page: A Quick and Dirty solution that meets your immediate =
aesthetic requirements.
=20
Now 'Copying' as in Dead Artists-- we just finished that up, I =
think.
=20
Semantically a representation is always partially a copying =
event.=20
It's either that mountain "out there" or the one you imagine =
between=20
your ears. One way to judge the effectiveness of your work is to =

compare it to something else in critical ways similar. Copying a =

familiar convention in a hopefully somewhat original way.
=20
Where copying means cloning something as a reproduction;
now that's a real challenge I think. I learn a lot when I try =
that=20
one. Controlling the medium, seeing how and what someone=20
else saw exactly and not what I'd want to see or what I thought
I saw when I glanced up. When I beat it my confidence is pretty=20
high and I've usually made a bunch of mistakes along the way=20
that I can use better in another context.
=20
"Draw what you see."=20
or if you'd rather..
"Copy what you are seeing with these pencils (and quick, before =
the light changes!)."
Mas o menos.
-henry

------=_NextPart_000_0061_01BED79A.F86A3D00

???? I hadn't noticed = anything unusual=20 lately, Dianna.

cheers!!! ana BIG wink <drip>  ...just as soon as I find = my=20 kitty kitty
-henry IV
( .. that's half an IIXth ! )
Boy, is it the summer heat or = what? =20 Everyone seems a little cranky and ready to debate anything?  = Is this=20 part of a summertime thing?
Just = wondering....