Re: Re:"Clip Art Sites"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dianna (dmammone)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:03:16 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BED7AA.48307520

Boy, is it the summer heat or what? Everyone seems a little cranky and =
ready to debate anything? Is this part of a summertime thing?
Just wondering....
----- Original Message -----=20
From: henry taylor=20
To: artsEdnet TALK=20
Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 5:38 PM
Subject: Re:"Clip Art Sites"

Jacki, Just for fun, try the Altavista search engine =
http://www.altavista.digital.com and do a little surfing using their =
Image search button. Buttons Bars and Arrows will get hits and offer a =
quick insight as to the quality and thrust of any sites you hit.

Bob,=20
Depends on the student and the class and the curricular goals among =
othet things, doesn't it? I can't see as it's even possible to "cheat" =
in art... other than outright intentional fraud or theft. And what =
constitutes theft any more requires a $200 hr. conference with your =
local copyright law pro.
=20
Clip Art is kinda like using "stock photos" purchased or public domain =
rather than going out and photographing that nice soft-focus seagull in =
the sunset frieze you might want to use as a banner on your guestbook =
page: A Quick and Dirty solution that meets your immediate aesthetic =
requirements.

Now 'Copying' as in Dead Artists-- we just finished that up, I think.
=20
Semantically a representation is always partially a copying event.=20
It's either that mountain "out there" or the one you imagine between=20
your ears. One way to judge the effectiveness of your work is to=20
compare it to something else in critical ways similar. Copying a=20
familiar convention in a hopefully somewhat original way.
=20
Where copying means cloning something as a reproduction;
now that's a real challenge I think. I learn a lot when I try that=20
one. Controlling the medium, seeing how and what someone=20
else saw exactly and not what I'd want to see or what I thought
I saw when I glanced up. When I beat it my confidence is pretty=20
high and I've usually made a bunch of mistakes along the way=20
that I can use better in another context.
=20
"Draw what you see."=20
or if you'd rather..
"Copy what you are seeing with these pencils (and quick, before the =
light changes!)."
Mas o menos.
-henry

------=_NextPart_000_0047_01BED7AA.48307520

Boy, is it the summer heat or = what? =20 Everyone seems a little cranky and ready to debate anything?  Is = this part=20 of a summertime thing?
Just = wondering....