Re: "Clip Art" and presentation

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:45:08 -0400

ricki fromkin wrote:
> As a Graphic Designer who doesn't possess the strongest drawing ability,
> I still consider myself a good artist. Using clip-art (or copy-right
> free visuals) allows some artists to get their message across more
> efficiently and more successfully visually. Depending on what the
> person is using the clip-art for, I se absolutely nothing wrong in using
> it as a design tool.
>
> Ricki

I agree it seems as though people judge you without knowing what the
intention is as a tool. I mean an example would be perhaps doing a
Warhol unit or other pop artist on gift paper. Much easier tool to
copy an image then alter it. Yes printmaking can be taught but
sometimes the time does not allow for it. I know from having a
position as art literacy coordinator( as Bunki puts it-" elementary
schools who have parent volunteers teaching art"),and doing
workshops in schools without art programs you are trying to expose
the kids sometimes to an application or tool that they can use with
speed and yet still in a format that they will gain knowledge and
art appreciation with. Perhaps we are also talking about "Generation
gap". When I was in college 15 years ago the trend was performance
art and DADA. Color copying and film with performance art and
sculpture all seem to tie in together. I'm sure the new generation
sees things differently and trends are just that trends. Besides she
was only inquiring on a site- that's what the list is also for,
sharing our knowledge. I do have clip art sites and I'll look for
them. When I made passports for a cultural month long journey, I
needed to find the right eagle and found it on a clip art web site.
My kids were 4 and 5 and engaging them to have a passport and ride a
plane to Africa, China, Japan, Mexico, really brought them into the
whole culture- one which was on their level and they were engaged
with. I also use Puppets and Posters and sometimes dress up!
Sandra
astroboy