Re: "Clip Art"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:21:03 -0400

Bob Beeching wrote:

> Jacki wrote:
>
> "Does anyone have any good sites they would like to share that offers
> free clipart."
>
> "Clip Art" along with "copying" and "tracing," does little to advance
> a student's ability
> to become - visually - self-sufficient. When a student says: "How do
> you draw this," one response may be, "Draw what you see." It is true
> that one cannot travel round the world in order to sit in front of a
> pyramid, and in this instance, copying - not tracing - the shape from
> a photograph is appropriate.
>
> An aside:
>
> One summer evening, an adult class student brought her 3 year old son
> to drawing class. When the class went outside to draw trees and
> building, the tot was given paper and marker to do the same. He was
> told: "Draw that tree in front of you." And he did - remarkably well -
> thought his mother.

As a Graphic Designer who doesn't possess the strongest drawing ability,
I still consider myself a good artist. Using clip-art (or copy-right
free visuals) allows some artists to get their message across more
efficiently and more successfully visually. Depending on what the
person is using the clip-art for, I se absolutely nothing wrong in using
it as a design tool.

Ricki