Re: One-Point Perspective Site plus bad teaching experience...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:12:47 -0400

Linda Kelty wrote:

> Bunki, In 21 years I've noticed that those who are good at math and maps
> tend to pick up on perspective more readily. Good artists often draw
> curvilinear forms and natural objects more readily and tend to understand
> the emotive content and elaborative efforts of artwork. Many students who
> don't view themselves as good artists but are good analytically can succeed
> with perspective. This tends to turn them "on" to art. I always tell those
> who are struggling about my own struggle with perspective and how, after
> lots of practice, I finally "got it". The kids think I'm an "awesome
> artist" so hearing about my own struggles encourages them. I also keep a
> couple of pieces from my own early teens to share with them so they can see
> the progression from early to later and the skill development. The success
> in perspective has to be viewed more for the effort and approach to thinking
> for the kids than immediate results. Sorry if this sound too preachy, but
> this is what has really helped when I teach perspective. Less about how to
> do, more about encouragement to try. A surprising number of students pick
> it up, including mainstreamed special needs students. I also encourage peer
> tutoring. If one student understands something, the way they break down a
> concept or stage is more easily verbalized to another student and they have
> a wonderful facility for making it understandable. They are seated at
> tables and are encouraged to be a team that supports one another. Hope this
> helps. I only have 2 or 3 students a year who can't get any of it. They
> either aren't developmentally ready or have a visual/spatial limit that
> holds them up. For those students, I try to grade on effort and tell them
> that eventually it will come together for them. Another thing that helps is
> to find direct applications that relate to their lives, such as drawing
> their own home and designing the color scheme and landscaping that they
> would use, given the money and opportunity. It just gets them thinking.
> Hope some of this helps. Linda K.
> Bunki Kramer wrote:
>
> >I teach mid. school 6-7-8 and due to time limits, tend to teach 1-pt.
> >persp. in ART I which is primarily 7th with a few 8ths thrown into the pot.
> >I don't have a big problem but I do tend to notice 3 or 4 students who
> >never seem to get the entire package after drawing boxes/shapes and then
> >putting it into practice. It doesn't seem to have much to do with drawing
> >ability per se either. More than once I've notice my best artists having
> >the most trouble. Because of these experiences I wonder if this is because
> >perspective might possibly be more of a left brain function than other art
> >techniques.
> >
> >Two years ago my very best artist Jason who, I would venture to say, was
> >the most creative and skilled of his art classmates, could not "get it" and
> >after a few attempts would not accept help from me nor talk wth me. This
> [...]
I think Linda makes a good point in saying that students who understand
perspective can help other students who don't. Quite often a student
explaining a concept to another benefits both parties involved.

Just a thought.
Ricki