Re: One-Point Perspective Site plus bad teaching experience...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:26:57 -0400

Bunki, In 21 years I've noticed that those who are good at math and maps
tend to pick up on perspective more readily. Good artists often draw
curvilinear forms and natural objects more readily and tend to understand
the emotive content and elaborative efforts of artwork. Many students who
don't view themselves as good artists but are good analytically can succeed
with perspective. This tends to turn them "on" to art. I always tell those
who are struggling about my own struggle with perspective and how, after
lots of practice, I finally "got it". The kids think I'm an "awesome
artist" so hearing about my own struggles encourages them. I also keep a
couple of pieces from my own early teens to share with them so they can see
the progression from early to later and the skill development. The success
in perspective has to be viewed more for the effort and approach to thinking
for the kids than immediate results. Sorry if this sound too preachy, but
this is what has really helped when I teach perspective. Less about how to
do, more about encouragement to try. A surprising number of students pick
it up, including mainstreamed special needs students. I also encourage peer
tutoring. If one student understands something, the way they break down a
concept or stage is more easily verbalized to another student and they have
a wonderful facility for making it understandable. They are seated at
tables and are encouraged to be a team that supports one another. Hope this
helps. I only have 2 or 3 students a year who can't get any of it. They
either aren't developmentally ready or have a visual/spatial limit that
holds them up. For those students, I try to grade on effort and tell them
that eventually it will come together for them. Another thing that helps is
to find direct applications that relate to their lives, such as drawing
their own home and designing the color scheme and landscaping that they
would use, given the money and opportunity. It just gets them thinking.
Hope some of this helps. Linda K.